Friday, June 29, 2007

Faces Of Indonesia

A few months ago I started a photographic project that is a blog. The aim of the blog is to upload everyday at least one to picture of an Indonesian face I have taken. It is called Faces Of Indonesia and can be found at http://facesofindonesia.blogspot.com
I have sort of been obsessed by it since I started and it has really become a passion. So far I have taken 174 different faces. I am keeping a record of all of them in one place too on my website: www.stephendavidson.org/faces.htm
I am in Jakarta at the moment and fully intended to go beserk and take heaps of faces but it is much more intimidating here doing that than I thought it would be. People are less open and more suspicious. I have had a business card made which sort of explains the project or helps to convince people that I am not some sort of perve with a big black camera. It says in Indonesian: Is your face on the blog yet? Of course the blog address is there too, so hopefully it will entice people to go and check. I have also realised while in Jakarta that most of my pictures so far are of the less well off Indonesians. In the ritzy shopping malls of Jakarta I see many extremely wealthy people but I don’t know what the reaction would be from them if I ask to take their picture. I want to have some images of them too. Some of the women both old and young are stunning. They flaunt their wealth so unashamedly with their massive diamonds, solid gold watches and designer labels so obviously on display. The cost of one Louis Vitton bag would feed a small village for months. But for my blog to be truly representative of Indonesians I need some of those faces too. Let’s hope none of them decide to slap me their handbags – the last thing I want is a bruise that looks like the LV logo!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm putting a link up to your faces of Indonesia blog. You might want to put a sitemeter counter on it to check and see what kind of traffic you get.